So this was my first week sorting through the boxes on my own. As all the boxes were fairly straight forward (multiple bones of the same element) I needn’t have worried. I went through all of the boxes that were put out for me and I managed to get a good system going.
When there were two of us working together we had a system where one of us would sit at the computer and the other would identify and describe the bone. We took it in turns and frequently showed things to one another to confirm what we saw, eg. presence of bone growth. However, this week I could only rely in myself. I knew the curator would be able to help if I really needed it but wanted to go to her only when necessary. This time I sorted the bones into element and condition and then took each one and entered the information on the database. I also had the trusty Tim White book next to me to check any landmarks. As I said it was pretty straight forward as many of the bones were long bones which I’m pretty comfortable with.
This week I had a slight variation of bones but most of my afternoon included looking at tibias and femurs. The morning, however was a different story! My first box of the day had multiple calvarias (skull caps) whilst the second box consisted of a vast quantity if ribs. None of these bones were articulated and therefore not of great use to be included in the teaching collection. My job here was to count and make a record of how many ribs and calvarias existed. By the end of creating multiple piles I had a total of 75 calvaria and 527 ribs. I may have taken a sigh of relief once I had finished those boxes. Although it was quite an impressive sight with all the bones laid out in piles in the table!
So today went well and I think my future weeks there are going to be fine on my own. It’s quite nice to be honest to quietly go through these boxes as it allows myself time to switch my brain off a little to focus on a straight forward task.