This week, as predicted, I started off from where I left off last week. This meant finishing off sorting out the individual hands bones. After that I moved on to vertebrae and sacrums.
The hand bones this week consisted of the remaining carpals; the trapezoids and capitates, and then the metacarpals and phalanges. I quite like the trapezoids as the are shaped like tiny boots and are therefore relatively easy to side. The capitates are a little harder to side but my trusty Tim White book made this much easier. With the metacarpals I only sided them and did not identify which one they belonged to, there are five metacarpals. This was because it would take up too much time and if necessary they could be identified by archaeological students.
For the hand phalanges I separated them into proximal, intermediate and distal. As with the metacarpals sides and individual numbering were not needed and this was mainly from a time point of view. There were about 95 proximal phalanges which take an extremely long time to correctly identify and side.
After this I moved on to some vertebrae columns. The vast majority of these were strung together and complete including the sacrum. Some of the vertebrae showed signs of osteoarthritis with lipping and home growth on the vertebrae bodies. Finally there were about 15 individual sacrums to record. As with the spinal columns there was some bone growth present but overall these bones were straight forward.
There are far fewer interesting pathologies over the last couple of weeks. This has been due to the collection of bones I have been sorting. These bones have been separated out are it is intended that they become incorporated into the present teaching collection. This means the bones are pretty normal to allow the students to get familiar with bones.
Next week will be my last week for two weeks as I will be away at a wedding and them on holiday. I am very much looking forward to having some time off!