I forgot to write an entry for last week as I’ve been busy with writing applications and I’ve not been feeling great. I can tell it’s winter as I sem to be picking up any colds that have been going around. However I’m back today and feeling a lot better and another Thursday at the College always makes me feel better.
This week I just had a bunch of skulls from the Tlusty project. This meant that my day included taking pictures, updating the inventory and uploading the information onto the museum’s database. I am really enjoying this work as it’s very methodological and I feel that I have a good system going to achieve a lot in one day.
Many of the specimens from today suffered from a condition called anencephaly. This is a congenital condition which means that the bones in the cranial vault do not develop properly. It can also cause problems in the vertebrae where the arches do not fuse and may flare outwards. It is not a pleasant condition but the specimens are very interesting and I am now comfortable with identifying the condition.
At one point during the day I went to one of the stores to get some more boxes and I could see how far I’ve gone through this collection. Once I have completed an inventory entry for each object I place a small blue sticker on the box so it is easily identifiable as being ‘checked’. Today I could see that I have made amazing progress through the collection and there are so many boxes with little blue stickers! It was really nice to see so I could prove to myself that I’m making progress and also helping the museum in a fairly big way with my volunteering. I think they had wanted to record this collection properly for quite a while now and it’s very satsifying to know that I’m helping them with this whilst also proving to myself that I can be trusted to handle and record a very sensitive collection on my own.